The John S. Martinez Leadership Scholarship program is specifically designed to help Hispanic high school students achieve educational success. This program has been implemented within the thirty eight (38) states and territories that have Hispanic state legislators. The award will be provided to a total of 11 Hispanic public high school students; no more than two (2) recipients shall be selected per state.
This effort has been implemented in collaboration with Hispanic state legislators in the states and the schools based in their respective districts.¬† THE DEADLINE TO APPLY IS FRIDAY, MARCH 24th, 2017.
Each recipient will be selected by an independent evaluation committee. The scholarship will be provided to the student upon graduation from high school and acceptance into a higher education.¬†
Criteria & Eligibility Rules
To be eligible for the NHCSL John S. Martinez Leadership Scholarship, each student must meet all of the following criteria:¬†
- The student must be Hispanic or of Hispanic descent.
- The student must reside in the district of a Hispanic State Legislator.
- The student must have a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better.
- The student must be a junior or senior who is enrolled full-time at a public high school in the District of a Hispanic State Legislator.
- The student must be nominated by their school principal, teacher, guidance counselor, legislator, or community leader.
- The student must have a resume, an academic transcript, (2) letters of recommendation and a personal statement (500 words) on “What Does Public Service Mean to Me”.
The scholarship will include
- A one-time $3,000.00 grant for educational purposes will be awarded to (11) high school students. The scholarship will be awarded to students upon graduation from high school and acceptance into a higher education.
- No more than two (2) recipients shall be selected per state.
- Recipients will be recognized for their efforts by NHCSL members in their home state.